Traditional Karate training is a fun way for both boys and girls to achieve fitness and focus. The martial arts actually help teach self-discipline and socialization skills. In fact, many parents whose children train in the martial arts find that their children’s self-control, concentration and confidence are
greatly improved through Karate training.
A typical hour-long class begins and ends with a bow to the teacher, or Sensei. After a warm-up, students practice the art’s particular skills, which may include kicks, punches, and blocks. Each requires concentration and strict attention.
Progress is often marked by the belt system, which takes the beginner from a white belt through a variety of colours until black. The student must decide for himself or herself when they are ready to attempt their next belt. This is a good exercise in setting and achieving goals.
The respect kids learn, whether from bowing or standing still and waiting for the next command, that can be the most important benefit: It often carries over into school, helping to improve behaviour and grades.
Physical Benefits include:
• Improved reflexes and coordination
• Increased performance in all physical activities
• Increased strength and stamina
• Increased flexibility and weight control for better overall fitness
• Cardiovascular workouts (heart and lungs)
• Improved balance
• Ability to defend yourself
Mental Benefits include:
• Improved concentration for better work and study habits
• Stress reduction and the ability to relax
• Confidence in knowing how to deal with bullies and other confrontations
• A positive attitude toward life through self-confidence, self-discipline and a healthy lifestyle
• Self-esteem and improved outlook on life
• Respect for yourself and those around you
• Motivation and an ‘I Can Do It’ attitude
• Friendship and camaraderie
The Children’s Class is held every Tuesday and Thursday at the Crofton Community Centre
For more information please call:
Duncan, Maple Bay, North Cowichan – 250-709-8886
South Cowichan, Mill Bay, Shawnigan Lk. – 250-899-2246
Vancouver British Columbia – 778-386-7003
Rockford Illinois USA – 1- 815-494-9483